Sunday, August 24, 2008

THE ROUND UP : 8.24.2008

Here’ this weekend’s box-office estimates!

1. Tropic Thunder $16 million
2. The House Bunny $15 million
3. Death Race $12.3 million
4. Dark Knight $10.3 million
5. The Clone Wars $5.6 million

8. The Longshots $4.3 million

12. The Rocker $2.7 million

22. Hamlet 2 $435,000

Well, well, well, this weekend is a little… How do you say…? Interesting. Tropic Thunder is proving itself and tops the weekend again. I guess now that everyone has seen The Dark Knight four times, it’s time to see something else?

I am extremely proud of Anna Faris for hitting number two with The House Bunny. I have not read a review in Variety that was so complimentary about every aspect of a comedy since Elf. Anna Faris is funny as fuck and derserves hilarious and more substantial vehicles than the Scary Movie franchise, and this role was written especially for her. It’s also worth saying her performance in Just Friends is an absolute classic. If you haven’t seen that little flick, Anna’s and Ryan Reynolds’ performance make it a more than worthwhile rent (which Variety called as well when it opened, bitches).

Death Race was number three.

A little movie called The Longshots debuted at number eight, which unfortunately for a family movie means this is its best weekend. Family movies are hard, either they win big and kickass or they don’t. Either way, the first weekend generally is their big moneymaker. Unless it’s Kit Kittredge, which platformed itself like a regular indie film to much success.

The Rocker
debuted at number twelve??? I thought for sure that a movie starring Rainn Wilson would have broken the top five, especially when said movie got the reviews it got. I knew I was going to wait for DVD, I just didn’t know everybody else felt that way too. Another example of Soccerboy having his finger on the pulse? I wonder…

A little movie called Hamlet 2 showed up! At $4300 a screen, it’s not going to do gangbusters, but personally, I’m thinking that after DVD it’ll become a cult classic. At the end of the day, what more is there to ask..?

And the little movie that could, Elegy, is doing quite well. It may have only earned $502,000 but it added 86 screens (to a total of 92) and grew a whopping 820%! For those who are about to release their own tiny movie and want to know, that’s good news y’all!

I said it last week, but it deserves to be said again. For the first time in a long, long time, the movies that I have seen this year and the ones that are on the way in the coming months make me excited to make movies! That desire hasn’t ever subsided in me, but it’s been a while since I’ve gotten some outside inspiration. And that’s nice.



And that’s the weekend!



© 2008 MD TOTAL all rights reserved.

No comments: