Monday, December 2, 2013

NEW_MUSIC : MNEK



UPDATED 12/12/13: MNEK has been nominated for a GRAMMY AWARD for the song "Need U (100%)", recorded by Duke Dumont ft. A*M*E* and MNEK! Things are clearly looking up for MNEK!


In the middle of a particularly brutal heat wave this past summer, someone tweeted saying they had heard a cover of Janet’s “That’s The Way Love Goes,” at a spin class by a male artist and stated it was incredible and he needed to find the recording. I figured he should’ve asked the spin teacher, but I’m glad he didn’t because I knew immediately that I needed to hear this cover and I also knew immediately that I was going to love it. I happened to see the reply with the answer and I jumped on over to Soundcloud and I discovered I was right! The cover is amazing.







The artist is MNEK [full name Uzoechi Osisioma Emenike; pronounced M.N.E.K., not M-neck], a 19 year old British/Nigerian singer/songwriter/producer/remixer from South London. You know how everybody’s got to have nine jobs in 2013. Luckily for us, MNEK is awesome at all of his. I spent the next hour listening to other stuff on his Soundcloud page – there are so many wonderful things going on in his music.

The tracks have a definite 90s R&B/house/chill vibe, but they also sound modern as fuck. That 90s feel is less “remember when,” than it is “this is where I come from, but we’re here in the present.” And then there’s his voice! His. Voice. This man is sangin. And he’s not the usual clichéd tenor that rides above pop tracks, his is a full, soulful baritone. His voice is a refreshing change that completely surrounds you, lifts you up and gently sets you back in time for you to keep dancing.



Right now, he’s got a track with Gorgon City, “Ready For Your Love,” that’s burning up airwaves over in England, and is sure to get into the hands of DJs here in the states soon. Check out both the original and the refix, they’re worth it.

He’s got an album coming soon, with a single next year. In fact, MNEK just released a mixtape, "Mixtape, Vernacular", giving an overview of some of his influences and snippets from new tracks. Seems like MNEK is about to make the big leap. OH and before I forget – he’s covered Jennifer Lopez’ “Waiting for Tonight." Jeez Louise. This track is one of a few JLo songs I legitimately love, so it’s crazy that I dig this cover so much. Check it!






[© MMXIII MD TOTAL all rights reserved]

No comments: