Monday, August 9, 2010

Two. Years. Old.

Soccerboy in LA is two years old. Yes, it’s been amazing. And yes, even I’m astonished by how much joy it’s brought me. Most of all, I don’t know what to say. Clearly, I love posting here as you can see by the archives. And yes, it’s true that the past two months is the first time I’ve posted regularly in a long time. It’s also true I had stopped posting regularly because I have been fortunate enough to be acting regularly and have been focusing all my energy on doing that job really well. I no longer assume that was the best or smartest choice. I just didn’t know how to be that far in it and hold enough objectivity to write about it all at the same time.

The first draft of this post included stories about what I’ve been up to since I used to post regularly. It was surprisingly fair and balanced, but it read like a resume. At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter what specific acting jobs I did. All that matters is these acting jobs changed my life for many reasons; professionally, artistically, emotionally and personally. And if you’re interested, you can read all about that here.

I also have to mention, many of those jobs came into my life directly because of Soccerboy in LA. And for that, I am beyond grateful.

These new posts that began back in May [since the logo change, ahem] are all pretty special to me. Not only are they a great way to get an idea of who I am right this moment, but they’ve also become the most read posts in the history of Soccerboy in LA.

Normally, I look to write something uplifting to mark the passage of an anniversary, and this year is only different because I debuted that piece early. That piece is The Semmering. If you haven’t read it yet, do so. It’s good. It also became the second most read post on this site in three days.

I’m amazed it’s been two years. I started this not knowing if I’d even make it four weeks and look at where we are now... I should’ve dreamed bigger, not that it’s too late for that... ;)

Most importantly, not only has writing here gotten me in the habit of being creative every single day [which is beyond priceless], but it got me in the habit of expressing myself every day in a way that people saw. This is no journal – these posts are read all over the world. And becoming comfortable with expressing yourself in something new every day is a gift that reaches many different parts of your life. Most importantly, it’s gotten me more connected with who I am as an artist, if only because I continually show my work.

That’s what artists do; we show our work.

I’m grateful that people have read what I’ve written at all, and I’m grateful that it’s even entertained people at all. There aren’t many things more satisfying than the feeling you get when you know you’ve entertained someone. And if some people find some features to be meaningful to them? That’s the sprinkles on top of the icing on the cake.

It’s all amazing.

And it all makes me wonder what magical dreams this next phase will bring to fruition…

No comments: